Monday, April 26, 2010

Welcome to Moonwishes Reads!

Today was a perfect day to open up my new blog. I went out to my mailbox and it was like Christmas as I had 3 boxes from Amazon in the mail! I am part of the Amazon vine program that helps to review new products for Amazon. On average I get 4 new books a month to read and review for them, but this was a happy month and I got to pick six new books. Usually I get Advanced Reading copies which still need some editing or tweaking. Sometimes I get lucky and get a store ready for sale book. The first book was an Amazon purchase of mine, Freestyle Machine Embroidery by Carol Shinn which will help inspire my other hobby of sewing and needlework. Today's Vine Program haul was The Summer Hideaway by Susan Wiggs, an author I have never read before and Blogging to Drive Business by Eric Butow & Rebecca Bollwitt. Last week I had picked another book on blogging, Create Your Own Blog: 6 Easy Projects to Start Blogging Like a Pro, and so wanted to compare the two as I had been thinking of starting an new blog or two to help promote my on-line business Moonwishes Sewing and Crafts where we sell sewing patterns. To get my toes in the water so to speak, I decided to start this blog about and for books as reading has been a passion all my life.

At Thanksgiving, my oldest son encouraged me to start writing down all the books I read in a notebook and I have been trying to remember to do that. At this point I am in the vicinity of 80+ books read since Thanksgiving 2009. I would encourage all readers to do this to not only keep track of what you have read and how many books you have read, but also make notes about how you felt about the book. Was it good? A waste of time? Something that made you wonder who would bother publishing it? I have a varied interest in books with my favorites by mystery, thriller, suspense novels and any needlecraft book. My oldest son doesn't read as much as me, but gives fantastic oral reviews of books he has read and that always encourages me to want to read those books also. Every visit home for him becomes a book exchange between us as I pass off books I think he would like to him and he brings me books he thinks I would like.

I hope you will enjoy this blog and participate in it. I am happy to get book recommendations especially if you can tell me why you think a book is worth reading. If you wish to purchase a book I recommend, I trust you will use our Amazon links as they in turn will help support my book buying habit. Any publishers that would like to send me a book to review, I'll be happy to do so. Just contact me about it.

2 comments:

  1. I love your book reviews! I will come back and read more. You are very good at this. I had to chuckle about one thing...Somewhere it says that you have already read 80 books since Thanksgiving 2010. Unless I'm mixed up, I don't think that has occurred yet! :) Keep these reviews coming. I agree with you - a box arriving from amazon.com is one of life's sweet pleasures, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping in Tim! I will change the date. Thanks for the heads up. Too many narcs on board at times, but I try hard.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts and ideas!