Monday, June 14, 2010

The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin

Here is a book I read for the Amazon Vine Review that I just loved and I think I was due one as I had a few lousy books that I just plowed through.

The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin. What an absolutely lovely book! In many ways this was a typical plane crash in the mountains and "how do we get rescued book?", but the author's deft writing technique made it into so much more. I loved being able to read a book where the man was honorable in spirit and in deed. I loved seeing how deep a love can grow between two people that isn’t necessarily a romantic or sensual type of love but one grounded in caring and gentleness and putting oneself out for the other. While I caught on to the ‘secret’ of Ben’s marriage fairly early, it made the book all that much better for his dedication to his wife.


I had trouble reading the last few pages of this book as I was weeping copiously. I might cry upon seeing the occasional good movie, but rarely have I ever cried when reading a book. This one touched me deeply and I look forward to many more books by this author. If I could, I would give him 10 stars. Besides writing a touching wonderful novel his has also proved that you don’t have to throw two people in bed together in the first 20 pages of the book to keep a person attention. Genuine love and caring in the characters will keep my attention much longer than anything. Thank you for a lovely book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts and ideas!