Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks, to be published August 21, 2012, ISBN 125000621X
After having both the pleasure and honor to read and review Matthew Dicks first two books, I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of his next. I I had some moments of despair when it was published across `the pond' and we in the US had to wait. So I was very excited to yet again be offered the chance to review the advance reading copy of his book Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend. Matthew's work just gets better and better and this book is excellent. Perhaps it stands out as even more special to me because I have my own "Max" and got to see the astounding way he grew and learned even if it was with the friendly help from the imaginary friends on "his planet" from which he even gave us daily weather reports. It is obvious that Matthew understands the hearts and souls of those that are special among us. I think that is what makes his books so brilliant. His characters with so many of what are normally called flaws, he brings out the things that make them so strong and special.

There is no point in giving a book report telling what happened in the book as the author has done a very good job of that. Suffice to say the story revolves around, Max is a different type child, with parents that don't really understand him or how to help him, and Max's imaginary friend Budo. Much of the activity takes place at school as well. Budo is Max's voice in this book since Max rarely speaks.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone. It makes for a terrific read and most especially would help those who would like a greater understanding of an autistic or developmentally delayed child. This book brings into focus so much that this type of child `live on the inside'. The title of this book sounds like this would be a book for children and it is, but it also can hold an adult's interest. I could just see teacher's reading this book to their students just as Mrs. Gosk reads to her students.

Keep up the good work Matthew!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have noticed something interesting as the early reviews from readers who received an actual copy of Matthew's book and those that received the book on CD. I have never liked listening to books on tapes and such, so when I was half through with the 9 CD set and had a chance to get the book to actually read, I jumped at it. Reading this author's work brings out so many of the subtle nuances that seem to be missed and even the different voices on CD aren't what the book itself would imagine them to be. For instance, Mrs. Gosk's voice sounds silly on the CD but when reading the book you can imagine it any way you want. Anyhow those 'readers' that accessed the story on CD have given it poor reviews, while those of us that got to read and wallow in the characters of Budo and Max are giving it stellar reviews. My suggestion, read the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts and ideas!